Hi SMA members,
There is a lot happening at the SMA, and I would like to bring the following to your attention.
1. The second issue of our new newsletter, Second Opinion, will be sent out to all our members in a few days. I know you will find it very useful and interesting.
2. Our first conference held in Europe is closely approaching. The SMA/EASA-MAN joint conference will be held at the Universitat Rovira I Virgili in Tarragona, Spain from June 12-14. While it is too late to submit a paper, the deadline for submitting a poster or a video is this April 30th. Also, if you plan to attend without a paper, poster, or a video, you can register directly on the website: medical-anthropology-urv.cat . See you in Spain. Don’t miss it!
3. Medical Anthropology Quarterly invites applications for the position of Book Reviews Editor. The ideal candidate would be broadly trained in medical anthropology and committed to meeting publication deadlines.
The Book Reviews Editor’s responsibilities include:
• selecting books for review
• identifying qualified reviewers
• ensuring that reviews are completed in a timely manner
• editing reviews for length, clarity, and style
• working with the main MAQ editorial office at the University of Florida
The position requires approximately 4–6 hours per week, on average. Successful applicants should have support from their home institutions. MAQ is an international journal published by the SMA. The journal publishes research and theory in all areas of medical anthropology. Its goal is to stimulate development of important ideas, methods, and debates in medical anthropology and to explore the links between medical anthropology, the parent discipline of anthropology, and neighboring fields in the health and social sciences. To apply, send a letter of interest and a CV to the Editor, Clarence C. Gravlee, at email@example.com as soon as possible.
4. I would like to recruit a Chair of our new Friends of the SMA Committee, who would assist in fundraising for the SMA award prizes. This would create a fund specifically designated for our numerous cash awards. The volunteer Chair, who would serve as an ex officio member, should have a Ph.D in anthropology, be an SMA member, and be outgoing. If you would like to be considered, please send me at firstname.lastname@example.org your CV and cover letter by May 15th.
5. In November, we are planning to hold our first Past Presidents Reception, for our SMA members, to honor our past SMA presidents at the AAA in Chicago. However, neither the AAA nor SMA has kept a record of who our past presidents have been. We know who they are since the late 1990’s, but have a very incomplete listing before then. If you can assist us with the names and e-mail addresses of prior SMApresidents before the late 1990’s, it would be greatly appreciated.
6. We are looking for a Chair or Co-Chairs of the Program Committee for the SfAA/SMA meeting in March 2014 in Albuquerque. This is a volunteer and ex officio position. Chairs should have a Ph.D. in anthropology, be an SMA member, and be detailed-oriented. If you would like to be considered, please send me email@example.com your CV and cover letter by May 15th.
7. The School for Advanced Research is soliciting proposals from medical anthropologists for an applied short seminar at SAR and plenary session at the SfAA. Go to http://sarweb.org/?applied_
8. The SMA encourages submissions for the George Foster Practicing Medical Award. It recognizes those who have made significant contributions to applying theory and methods in medical anthropology. For more information contact the Committee Chair, Robbie Baer at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Douglas A. Feldman, Ph.D.
The College at Brockport,
State University of New York
Department of Anthropology
350 New Campus Drive
Brockport, NY 14420 USA
O: (585) 395-5709
C: (585) 576-7601
President, Society for Medical Anthropology
April 25, 2013