Position Title: Staff Research Associate III Department: Research
Reports to: Dr. Maren T. Scheuner FLSA: Exempt
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
The incumbent will assist the Principal Investigator in coordinating and conducting research activities related to the development and implementation of an educational toolkit that will facilitate genetic risk assessment and management by healthcare providers. The incumbent will join a interdisciplinary research team in the Research Department working in the area of health services research at the San Francisco VA Medical Center and the University of California, San Francisco.
- As a Staff Research Associate III, you will serve as a qualitative researcher and project manager on a new mixed methods project.
- Under the direction of senior researchers, participate in the design of a research plan, implement research procedures, and analyze results.
- Conduct participant recruitment using VA databases and identify and implement other strategies to increase participant recruitment.
- Develop interview protocols in collaboration with research team,
- Enroll eligible participants using approved informed consent procedures.
- Conduct semi-structured participant interviews or focus groups.
- Conduct quality assurance on interview transcripts.
- Maintain confidential databases of study participants.
- Oversee data management activities including data collection, entry, verification, and maintenance.
- Coordinate initial start-up and roll-out of new research tasks and activities.
- Schedule and run local research meetings.
- Coordinate and schedule conference calls for collaborations.
- Assist with hiring of new staff.
- Create tables and figures for scientific reports and publications using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other design software.
- Assist in creating PowerPoint presentations and research posters.
- Conduct literature searches using PubMed and other internet search engines.
- Assist with preparation and electronic submission of grant applications and scientific manuscripts.
- Create and manage budgets for research studies
- Manage financial aspects of studies including purchasing, reimbursements, and personnel subcontracting.
- Assist with preparation of quarterly and annual progress reports for research studies.
- Assist with human research regulatory activities by helping to prepare new and renewal applications for Internal Review Board (IRB) submission, assist with IRB applications for modifications to existing protocols, and monitor IRB protocol compliance
- Assist with photocopying, faxing, mailing (Fed Ex, UPS, US Mail, etc.)
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in public health, sociology, anthropology, health services, or other related field, or bachelor’s degree with equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge of foundational and emerging qualitative research methodologies.
- Experience with project management.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong inter-personal skills for working closely with other team members in a multi-disciplinary context and for interacting with research participants.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- PhD in sociology, anthropology, health services research, or related field.
- Clinical genetics or genetic counseling training or experience.
- Prior publications in health services research, implementation science, or related fields.
- Experience creating and managing budgets.
For more information about NCIRE — The Veterans Health Research Institute or to apply for this exciting opportunity, please visit us at www.ncire.org and select job #20-0008 or you may apply directly, by cutting and pasting the below link into your browser:
NCIRE –The Veterans Health Research Institute is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Per San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance, NCIRE – The Veterans Health Research Institute will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.