The Society for Medical Anthropology (SMA) is seeking a Digital Communications Manager who will be responsible for preparing, editing, and distributing news to members of the SMA and beyond. This is an excellent opportunity for an advanced graduate student with broad knowledge of medical anthropology, strong writing and editorial skills, a sophisticated understanding of professional uses for digital media, and the ability to work independently.
The Digital Communications Manager plays a key role in the SMA’s communications initiatives and will work closely with the organization’s president, communications committee, and web editor. Strong MailChimp, Facebook and Twitter management skills are required. The preferred candidate will also be proficient using WordPress.
The Digital Communications Manager is responsible for the following:
- Managing all aspects of the SMA’s newsletter, which is distributed 3 times annually on October 15, February 15, and June 30. This includes: developing newsletter content and soliciting pieces from contributors; copyediting, design, layout, and distribution; and promoting the newsletter via social media.
- Working closely with newsletter contributors, the SMA president, and members of the Communications Committee, and attending monthly telephone meetings.
- Collaborating with staff from Medical Anthropology Quarterly on digital communications initiatives.
- Ensuring that the SMA maintains a strong social media presence, particularly via Facebook and Twitter.
- Using social media analytics to continuously monitor the SMA’s online reach and develop strategies for reaching new audiences.
- Attending SMA Board meetings at the American Anthropological Association annual meetings (some travel reimbursement provided).
We are offering a stipend of $2,000 for a 1-year position starting in November 2016. Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter detailing their experience and interest, along with a CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 1, 2016.
SMA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.