The Society for Medical Anthropology (SMA) is seeking an Anthropology News (AN) Liaison who will be responsible for soliciting, editing, and uploading monthly columns for the SMA Section News portion of the AN website and print newsletter/magazine. This is an excellent opportunity for an individual with broad knowledge of medical anthropology and strong writing and editorial skills to contribute to SMA’s ongoing communications. The capacity to solicit columns from a wide array of colleagues is a plus. Individuals at any career stage will be considered.
The SMA/AN Liaison plays a key role in SMA’s communications initiatives and will participate in quarterly meetings with the organization’s president, communications committee, and Digital Communications Manager. The Liaison will also attend the AN Section News Editor’s meeting at the annual AAA meeting (some travel reimbursement available).
The preferred candidate will be proficient using (or willing to quickly learn) WordPress.
The SMA/AN Liaison is responsible for the following:
· Coordinating with the SMA communications committee regarding upcoming initiatives;
· Soliciting content from prospective AN authors for a monthly column;
· Providing authors with the AN column template and guidelines and reminding them of submission deadlines;
· Editing content when submitted and working with authors to complete revisions;
· Submitting finalized content to AN’s WordPress site with photos embedded.
This is a volunteer position starting in December 2017; the SMA/AN Liaison will be considered an ex officio member of the SMA Board. If interested, please send a CV and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to Erin Finley at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2017.