The Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) and Integrative Medicine (IM) special interest group of the SMA requests submissions for a new Graduate Student Paper Prize in the Anthropology of CAM or IM. The group was organized in 2006 to encourage to anthropological study of CAM and IM as emergent socio-medical phenomena having global ramifications in the 21st century. Our members recognize CAM/IM as a contemporary example of medical pluralism, influenced by processes of globalization and hybridization, scientization and commodification.
Qualifying submissions will be judged by a committee of CAM/IM SIG members. The author of the winning paper will receive a cash award of $100 and her or his name will be announced in Anthropology News and at the Society for Medical Anthropology business meeting at the AAA Annual Meeting in November. Submissions from all anthropological subdisciplines are encouraged.
- Primary or first author must be a graduate student at time of submission
- Preferably based on original fieldwork and data, but can be theoretical
- Must have been written in the past 24 months
- May be unpublished or submitted for publication at the time of submission
- Maximum of 8,000 words, not including references
- Link to the CAM/IM SIG statement of purpose (above)
- Originality of fieldwork and data
- Richness of substantive or evidentiary materials
- Clarity of anthropological methods
- Effective use of theory and/or data
- Organization, quality of writing and coherence of argument
- Please do not include your name or any identifying information in the paper itself
- Provide a separate cover sheet that includes your name, mailing address, email address and school affiliation
- Papers must be double-spaced and in PDF format (please include page numbers)
- References should be formatted in the American Anthropologist style
- Please submit an electronic copy to Sonya Pritzker (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Submissions must be received by 5:00PM EST, July 1, 2013 for full consideration. Questions may be directed to Sonya Pritzker at the above email address. We look forward to your submissions!