SMA RSS Feeds: News, Jobs, Funding, & Announcements
Right now, we only have the "Breaking News" feed set up...but in the near future, look for RSS feeds on Jobs, Funding Sources, and other News and Commentary...
A Primer on RSS Feeds (source: adapted from wikipedia.com)
What is an RSS feed?
- RSS is a family of Web feed formats used to publish frequently updated works—such as blog entries, news headlines, audio, and video—in a standardized format. An RSS document (which is called a "feed", "web feed", or "channel") includes full or summarized text, plus metadata such as publishing dates and authorship.
Why would I want to use them?
- They benefit readers who want to subscribe to timely updates from favored websites or to aggregate feeds from many sites into one place.
And how would I do that?
- RSS feeds can be read using software called an "RSS reader", "feed reader", or "aggregator", which can be web-based, desktop-based, or mobile-device-based. The user subscribes to a feed by entering the feed's URI into the reader, or by clicking an RSS icon in a browser that initiates the subscription process. The RSS reader checks the user's subscribed feeds regularly for
What kind of Software do i need?
- Numerous free programs support RSS syndication, some of the most popular include NewsGator (Windows), NetNewsWire (Mac), Safari or Firefox (Mac or Windows), Mac's "Mail.app" (Mac).
- Others prefer to use online services, such as Google Reader, Bloglines, or NewsGator
Still have a question? (it's a little silly, but this video might help)