The Department of Anthropology at the University of North Texas invites applications for a tenuretrack
assistant professor position in applied cultural anthropology for Fall 2020. The UNT
Department of Anthropology is distinguished as part of a unique group of departments offering a
Masters in applied anthropology, as well as an undergraduate BA.
We emphasize the use of anthropology to solve problems and improve people’s lives in the following areas of focus:
• environmental and ecological anthropology;
• medical anthropology and public health;
• anthropology of education;
• business, technology, and design;
• migration and borders; and
• urban anthropology.
We are looking for research and teaching experience/ interest in one of these focus areas, with
preference given to medical and/or environmental anthropology.
Responsibilities of the successful candidate will include:
• Teach undergraduate and graduate anthropology courses, particularly in one of our focus
areas. Other courses may be methodological, theoretical, or of a geographic area.
• Our department has a strong tradition of online teaching, and the successful candidate must
be willing to teach some distance education courses (in addition to face-to-face classes).
• Be prepared to develop applied field and/or class projects that educate students in
• Mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
• Maintain an active research agenda and contribute to the service of the department, college,
Applicants must have a PhD in anthropology at the time of appointment. Preference will be given to
applicants with experience in applied cultural anthropology, particularly medical and/or
environmental anthropology. An applicant who can bridge the scholarship of current faculty in more
than one area and/or with experience in policy will be considered a plus. Preference will also be
given to applicants who demonstrate scholarly accomplishments, teaching experience, and
experience in anthropological praxis.
Applicants must submit a letter of application describing their research interests and qualifications,
curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, a summary of teaching evaluations, and the names
of three references with contact information. Applicants must apply online at facultyjobs.unt.edu.
Applications will be received until October 25, 2019, or until the position is closed.
Unt is an AA/ADA/EOE